British Gas slapped with £11m fine over delays in implementing energy efficiency programme
One of the UK’s largest energy suppliers has been slapped with a very serious fine after failing to deliver the required energy efficiency measures in a timely manner.
As part of their obligations under the Community Energy Saving Programme (CESP), energy suppliers were required to install energy-saving measures by the end of December 2012.
However, British Gas had however met only 62.4% of its obligations by the deadline.
“This led to around 6,750 households in low-income areas experiencing delays in receiving energy-saving measures which would have helped keep homes warm and lower bills during the winter of 2012/13,” Ofgem said.
The Big Six supplier also failed to meet its target under the Carbon Emissions Reduction Target (CERT), delivering 99% of its carbon emissions obligations on time and taking an extra seven weeks to meet the remaining 1%.
Sarah Harrison, Ofgem’s Senior Partner with responsibility for enforcement added: “British Gas’ failure to deliver two environmental obligations on time is unacceptable. Thousands of households had to wait for energy efficiency measures, like insulation, to be installed during the winter.
“The payment reflects British Gas’ failure to meet its obligations on time but also recognises its commitment to put things right.”
f you’re not really happy with the the energy suppliers’ behaviour towards customers (not to mention the ever-increasing energy bills) and you’re seriously want to do something about it, then look no further than HeatingSave.
The HeatingSave Energy Management System will enable customers to easily save between 20 and 30+ percent on their heating bills by optimizing the energy consumption levels within any building.
In order to achieve this, HeatingSave employs a complex heat-loss algorithm, that creates a specific profile for any building and based on that, switches on your heating on later if its warm and also switch off earlier if its cold. It also automatically adjusts your boiler depending on how warm it is outside – save up to another 10%.
Additionally, the automatic occupancy detection allows the temperature to reduce to a background when areas are not used and quickly brought up to temperature when they are being used.
If you’re want to find out more about the HeatingSave system, just get in touch with our dedicated team, they’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. Plus, you could also get a Free Energy Survey, that will assess your building’s specific needs and offer you some very important information regarding the measures you might need to implement in order to achieve some visible results in terms of energy saving.